Our History

In brief... 

1924

The Sheffield Association for the Protection of Local Scenery was founded.

 

1927

We joined the Council for the Preservation of Rural England (CPRE)  as the Peak Distict and Sheffield branch. There were no national parks and no green belts at this time...

 

1931

We raised the money to buy the Longshaw Estate, save it from development and hand it over to the National Trust for future preservation.

 

1938

After years of our campaigning, a provisional green belt to protect the countryside around Sheffield was launched.

 

1950s

The provisional green belt was under threat when local councils bought up acres of countryside by compulsory purchase order for new housing. 

 

1955

The concept of green belts gained momentum nationally when the government issued guidance that became the foundation for future green belt policies.

 

1960s and 70s

The provisional green belt around Sheffield was gradually extended to create the buffer zone around the city.

 

1972

The Local Government Act extended Sheffield's boundaries, hugely increasing the total acreage of countryside within the city's boundaries.

 

1983

Hurray! The green belt was officially adopted by Sheffield City Council. Campaigning continued for a larger green belt extending to protect South Yorkshire's countryside against urban sprawl.

 

1990

Rotherham's green belt was officially adopted.

We took on looking after the landscapes of Barnsley and Doncaster, to join our existing protection work in Sheffield and Rotherham.

 

2006

We renamed ourselves CPRE South Yorkshire as part of strengthening our fight for the landscapes of Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield.

 

Find out more...

If you want to find out more, then please get in touch about our speaker service  - we can come out and give a talk to local groups and societies about our important work protecting South Yorkshire's countryside.